Other news sources
We try to keep abreast of all the latest changes in the packaging industry and the ever changing world of polythene bags, but here are some additional sources of information:
Popular Clear Polythene bags are often made from Low density polythene. Clear Polythene bags has a open top and also referred as 'Clear Polybags'.
Clear Polythene bag is designed to handle a wide variety of packaging needs. The bags can also be heat sealed or secured with bag ties to provide security and/or retain freshness. Dimensions usually represent the interior usable portion of the bag.
Clear Polythene bags are used for every needs. Commonly for storing parts and protecting objects from dust and moisture. Other uses include to store small parts, kitting supplies, food, photographic paper, metal fasteners, hardware, auto parts and medical devices.
How Polythene films made?
Most polythene films are made out using blown film process. In the Blown Film Extrusion process, small plastic pellets (called resin) are melted down under controlled conditions so that they are pliable molten actually - and pressed (extruded) through a circular die gap to form a continuous tube of plastic.
While it is still in this molten state, the tube is pinched off at one end, then it is inflated and stretched to the size and thickness of the desired finished product. The inflated bubble of plastic is drawn vertically up a tower so that it has a chance to cool before it is flattened out and wound onto a roll.
The plastic pellets enter at one end of the machine and film is wound up at the other. This simple process can be used to make films that may be as thin as .0004 inch to thicknesses that may go beyond .01 inch. Sometimes pellets containing pigment are blended with the clear pellets to make film of various colours.
How Plastic Bags are made?
Polyethylene Bags are made by heat sealing and cutting rolls of film. Rolls of tubing or sheeting are fed through a machine that draws material out to the proper length. The machine then cycles to place a seal on the material and then cut it off to make an individual bag. In some cases, with small bags, machine cycle speeds may produce up to 70,000 bags per hour. In other instances, a large bag may run as slowly as 2,000 bags per hour.
Major UK Suppliers:
Common materials used for Clear Polythene bags:
- Low density polythene
- Medium density polythene
- High density polythene
- Liner blend polythene
- Recycled polythene
80 Gauge (20microns) to 1000 Gauge (250microns)
Normally, Clear Polythene bags in Great Britain should follow widely accepted industrial standards according to British Standard - see BS7344, 1990
- Width: Plus or minus 3mm (0.125") or 2% whichever is greater
- Length: Plus or minus 6mm (0.25") or 2% whichever is greater
- Gauge: Plus or minus 10%
Standards for 'Clear Polythene bags' to use for food contact and medical application
Food Contact - To use Clear Polythene bags inside European Union, in contact with food should comply with the relevant legislation on food contact including Great Britain.
- Great Britain: Statutory Instrument, 1998 No. 1376 and BPF-BIBRA (1995), Polymer Specification 4, Polyethylene
- EU: Commission Directive 90/128/EEC, 92/39/EEC, 93/9/EEC, 95/3/EEC and 96/11/EC, Section A.
- Example of a company comply with food contact: Polybags Limited
Medical use - Similarly, to use Clear Polythene bags inside European Union, to produce containers for preparations for medico-pharmaceutical purposes should comply with the following regulation:
- European Pharmacopoeia - Monograph 3.1.3 "Polyolefin's" for medico-pharmaceutical purposes.
- The final responsibility for the decision of whether a material is fit for a particular application lies with the pharmaceutical firm.
- Example of a company comply with medical use: Polybags Limited
Special options available in Clear polythene bags(clear Polybags)
- Flat polythene bags: Standard Clear Polythene bags often called by flat polythene bags. It is used for general purpose.
- Gusseted Clear polythene bags: Plastic bags with fitted bottom and expandable sides (gusset) form to the shape of your product.
- Clear Perforated polythene bags: Perforated polythene bags have a perforation for a easy tear off from either a bunch of bags or roll.
- Plain Mini grip/Self seal/Re-closable bags: Plain Self seal bags with interlocking closure that can be used over and over again. Ideal where you want to secure contents and avoid leakage or contamination, no need of heat sealing.
- Plain Self seal bags with write on panel: Plain Self seal bags with write on panels is used for content identification, coding etc. Easy to label contents using a marker, ballpoint pen or pencil.
- Clear Specimen bags: Clear specimen bags comes with outer pouch for record cards. Ideal for use in hospitals, medical labs to safely transfer specimens and paperwork.
- End weld (bottom) clear polythene bags: Polythene bags are generally welded in the bottom. Bottom weld offers added strength for packing heavier items.
- Side weld clear polythene bags: When Polythene bags welded on the sides of the bags is referred to Side weld bags. Side weld bags are ideal for packaging lighter materials such as greeting cards/envelopes.
- For protection of art and furniture in storage
- Garment and bedding covers
- Packing goods in transit
- Stocking nuts, bolts and electronic parts
- Retail display
- Sale of goods in craft and pet shops
- Bags for food storage and medical devices
- Bags for freezer grade e.g. for storage of fish
- Bags for outdoor storage application, protected from Ultraviolet light degradation
Buy Common sizes of Clear Polythene bags
- mini (2-4" wide)
- small (5-8" wide)
- standard (9-12" wide)
- large (15-24" wide)
- extra-large (30-48" wide)
Unusual uses of Polythene bags
Home Remedy for Painful body joints or muscles - Use frozen peas in polythene bags as they act like small ice balls and help in giving a good massage.Reference: "Home Remedy Painful body joints or muscles"